“We will do whatever it takes to get the job done…” That’s what John Amatetti and Chuck Irish said when the VIKA principals received the call to provide surveying services immediately following the 9-11 terrorist attack on the Pentagon. VIKA was the first survey field crew on site within 24 hours after the terrorist attack, having been told to gear up for a 24/7 schedule.
We provided detailed existing conditions and structural as-builts of the damaged structure. Our services included a survey of the existing conditions, preparation of 3-dimensional as-builts of the building face, and 24-hour monitoring of the structure during the year-long demolition and construction phase. VIKA also provided the following:
- All survey construction stakeout
- Redesign of utilities
- Critical stakeout of the blast windows
- Construction plans for the rebuilding effort.
The project was initially projected to take four years. VIKA is proud of the contribution we made to the team that completed the project 28 days short of the one-year anniversary of the attack.
Awards for this project include:
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Special Disaster Recovery Award for the Pentagon Phoenix Project as recognition for outstanding work and service during the aftermath of the attack
- Memorandum of Great Appreciation from Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld for VIKA’s efforts and participation in the Pentagon Phoenix Project.