The redevelopment of Chevy Chase Lakes Blocks A, B, and D will transform a suburban-style shopping center into a mixed-use town center to align with the proposed Purple Line.
The commercial/residential zones (CR, CRN & CRT), established by the Sector Plan, promote economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable development patterns where people can live, work, relax, and access services and amenities.
VIKA provided comprehensive planning, surveying and civil engineering services for the redevelopment of the existing 15.94-acres gross tract area including:
- Shopping Centers
- Office Building of 1,526,289 GSF mixed-use development:
- A maximum of 1,385,360 SF of residential
- Up to 676,700 SF of non-residential.
The residential component will feature multifamily rental and owned units, including 12.5% MPDU’s and townhomes.
Non-residential uses will include a blend of retail and public amenities:
- Grocery Store
- Central neighborhood square, as required by the 2013 approved and adopted Chevy Chase Lake Sector Plan.
The development will provide new vehicular and pedestrian connections, landscape and streetscape elements, and an array of required public benefits and amenities.
The proposed Purple Line (a 16-mile east-west light rail line linking Bethesda, Silver Spring, Takoma/Langley Park, University of Maryland and New Carrollton) bisects Blocks B and D, with a station planned at this location. Block B will include a raised plaza providing a direct connection between the buildings, a new neighborhood square, and the Purple Line station.
This project exemplifies the principles behind the CR zones and highlights how these zones create vibrant destinations that enhance the urban fabric of Montgomery County.
VIKA’s services include:
- Boundary and Topographic Survey
- Natural Resource Inventory / Forest Stand Delineation
- Pre-concept Stormwater Management Plan
- Concept Layout
- Sketch Plan.
- Preliminary Plan
- Site Plan
- Stage 1 & 2 Concept
- Stormwater Management Plan
- Forest Conservation Plan.