According to Metro, the Wiehle-Reston East Station’s first-year ridership is by far the most of any Silver Line Metro Station. This popular station, coupled with the planned Lincoln at Commerce Park multi-family development, will feature sidewalks and trails that lead residents directly to the Metro Station, thus making this development a dynamic, pedestrian-friendly mixed-use neighborhood.
VIKA’s work on Lincoln at Commerce Park began with a feasibility report identifying potential site issues and opportunities associated with the development of the property for residential purposes and preparation of a schematic development plan for a redevelopment project near the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station.
VIKA’s client filed a Planned Residential Mixed-use District (PRM) rezoning application, conceptual and development plan, and special exception to allow infill development of multi-family residential uses.
The proposed residential development will replace an existing surface parking lot with approximately 260 dwelling units and structured parking. The existing office building will also be a rezoned PRM as a secondary use to the new residential use and a portion of the property will remain Industrial District I-3 to provide parking for the office building. The Special Exception was to permit commercial off-street parking to serve the office building on the adjoining property.
For the rezoning efforts, VIKA prepared a report that included our findings and recommendations on the following:
- Existing Site Improvements Survey
- Existing Easements Identification
- Topography Survey
- Soils and Environmental Review
- Floodplain Review
- Chesapeake Bay Ordinance/Resource Protection Areas Review
- Site Access Review
- Sanitary Sewers, Public Water, and Storm Sewer Analysis
- Power Distribution and Other Dry Utility Services Review
- Stormwater Management Compliance (based on new statewide stormwater management regulations that took effect on July 1, 2014)
- Fire Marshal and Transportation Issues
- Preliminary Traffic Impact Analysis
- Site Development and Zoning Analysis
- Plan Site Design Recommendations
- Plan Recommendations for Transit-Oriented District
- Reston Community Planning Section Land Use Recommendations.
The rezoning application was accepted by Fairfax County in October 2015.