Manchester Crossing is a development of 57 single-family homes situated on 23 acres, adjacent to Maryland Route 5. This site is one mile southeast of the Branch Avenue exit of the Capital Beltway in Prince George’s County.
In addition to the residential units, the project features amenities including a recreation area, a trail system, and a playground for the community. The development abuts Maryland Route 5, and the backs of some lots along the highway are treated with a sound berm and sound wall with extensive landscaping sheltering the residential neighborhood.
To meet noise mitigation requirements, a sound barrier was required to diminish highway noise in the backyards to acceptable levels. We also worked with the noise consultant to reduce amount of wall surface by providing a landscaped berm along that frontage. By decreasing the amount of concrete wall, we created an optimal balance of the site’s use, design, earthwork, and noise reduction measures.
VIKA provided comprehensive civil engineering and surveying services including the following:
- ALTA/NSPS Survey
- Boundary and Topographic Survey
- Sediment Control Plan
- Stormwater Management Plan
- Storm Drain Grade Establishment Plan
- Street Tree and Lighting Plan
- State Highway Administration Plans and support for permit issuance
- Pavement Marking/Signage Design Plan
- Limited Detail Site Plan
- Landscape Plan for Building Permits
- Construction administration services
- Stake-out services
- As-builts, site certifications, and bond release support.