By 2006, students and faculty of the Bethesda Sidwell Friends Lower School campus had outgrown their main building and were lacking dedicated indoor athletic facilities. That year, Lower School began expansion of the main building, added a separate building to house the gymnasium and parking garage, and added numerous site improvements including play equipment, open-space play areas, and several rain gardens.
The new gymnasium building has a large footprint, which was a challenge given the site’s topography. The School also needed additional parking on the site.
To meet these challenges, VIKA’s engineers worked with the architect to site the new gymnasium to incorporate a level of parking below. We also helped the zoning attorney establish that the proposed site improvements were not subject to a further public hearing process, such as a Special Exception Site Plan.
In addition, there was an existing drainage issue along the School’s property line that was causing intermittent water ponding on the School’s property as well as some neighboring residents’ properties. We evaluated the existing conditions, identified several potential solutions, and helped the School choose the most cost effective of these options. When the School implemented the chosen solution, the drainage issue resolved to the satisfaction of both the School and their neighbors.
VIKA provided civil engineering services including:
- Schematic Design
- Natural Resources Inventory and Forest Stand Delineation
- Preliminary Forest Conservation Plan
- Concept Stormwater Management Plan
- LEED Certification
- Tree Save Plan
- Site Plan
- Earthwork analysis
- Private and Public Paving and Storm Drain Plans
- Storm Drain Outfall Studies
- Sight Distance Studies
- Traffic Control Plan
- Sediment and Erosion Control Plan
- Stormwater Management Plan
- WSSC “On-Site” Water and Sewer Plan
- Project Specification
- RFI Response and Shop Drawing Review
- Water and Sewer As-Built Certifications
- Construction administration.